Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Monster and Me write up for CaptainKYSO

Link to original story on CaptainKYSO.  (CaptainKSYO is currently under construction as it changes ownership. The original story follows below.) Most times when I was presented with an image to write a story for at CaptainKYSO I had to start from scratch with the creative process, however "Monster and Me" was a rare exception to the creative process.  Due to its comic strip panel nature it was already telling a story or sorts, but it was up to me to fill in the holes of the story.  I think this particular design helps to showcase that although I can create a good story on my own, I can also work within a given frame work or outline and stay true to the artist's intent.



Intro:  Once, there were two very special friends...
One day, a little girl was wondering through the forest when she heard a strange sound.
“Baroo Hoo Hoo!  Baroo Hoo Hoo,” went the strange noise.  The little girl looked high and low before finding what was making the odd sounds. 
                There, sitting on a boulder under the shade of several tall trees, was a monster!  It had an enormous tail, wings popping out of its back, and a set of horns sprouting from its head.  The little girl should have been frightened by the strange beast, but she saw tears running down his cheeks, for he had been crying.  Plucking a small flower, she walked over to the monster.
                “Please don’t be sad.  Whatever is wrong, I’ll help you fix it.  Here, have this daisy I got you, it will help cheer you up,” she said handing him flower.
                “Oh thank you so much.  I am just so sad because I am so lonely and so hungry,  I don’t have any friends to play or have food with.”
                The little girl smiled at him and said, “I don’t have any food, but I can be your friend, do you want to go play?”
                “Oh boy,” said the monster, “I think I would like to play, but can we get a sandwich first?”
                But the little girl wasn’t really paying attention anymore and was merrily skipping down a path so that the monster had to jog to keep up.  “Oh look sir,” said the little girl as she stopped skipping along, “There’s little fishes swimming around in that pond.  Let’s sit down and watch them.”   The monster plopped down next to her and there they sat for a while looking at the fish swimming around the little pond.  The monster was happy to have a friend to spend time, but he was still very hungry.
                “Can we get a sandwich now?  It was fun to sit with you, and the fish were very pretty, but I am still hungry,” said the monster.
                “Okay, let’s head back to my home, but let’s stop at the park on the way and we can play there for a bit before dinner,” said the little girl.  The monster’s tummy growled a little, but he shrugged his shoulders and followed her once more.
                And so, they went to the park and played.  The little girl had great fun as the monster pushed her very high on the swing, and helped her to the top of the slide.  When the monster tried going on the swing it snapped, and he got stuck on the slide because he was too big.  They both thought it was funny and had a laugh, but the monster was very hungry by now.
                “Little girl,” said the monster, “Can we get a sandwich now?  I am even hungrier than before.”
                “Oh, yeah, okay.  I forgot because we were having so much fun together.  Here, let’s go to my house and I’ll make you a sandwich and a nice tall glass of—hey look sir!  There are some birds over there!  Let’s go chase them for a bit.  I bet we can catch them if I sit on your back and you flap your wings.”
                The monster sighed and put the little girl on his back so they could chase the birds.  Eventually, the monster stopped flying around and sat down because he was too tired and hungry to keep flying.
                “What’s the matter,” asked the little girl as she tugged on the monster’s arm.  “I thought you wanted a friend to play with.” 
The monster’s tummy growled and the monster nodded as he said to the little girl, “I did want a friend to play with, but I am so hungry.  We can play one more game though.  Why don’t we play a quick game of hide and go seek?”
                Later that night, the monster was in the forest again, bawling his eyes out because he was lonely.  But, he thought to himself, at least he was no longer hungry.

Keep this T shirt on if:  You love to meet new people.
Forget about it if:  Your friends took you to a fancy restaurant only to have you pay the bill.
Color:  She wore Yellow ribbons in her hair the last time I saw her.

Artist Bio:  Annie Meier has several imaginary friends that travel everywhere in the world with her.  However, several airlines enforce a strict two imaginary friend limit due to safety regulations, leaving her with difficult choices when she travels internationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment